Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Falling toolboxes and other items

Well, yesterday I decided I would work in the garage for a little while. We bought some totes and I was trying to get the garage straightened up. Anyway, I was kneeling in front of a cabinet putting some small items in a tote when all of a sudden something hit me in the head and then fell across my back to the floor. I was stunned for a moment. I saw that it was a metal toolbox that fell off the top of the cabinet! Luckily for me, it was empty. It hit me fairly hard as it was, so if something had been in it, I might have been really hurt. As it was, it left a bump on the side of my head and a sore spot on the back of my head and on my shoulder blade (the same one I bumped when I fell in the office a couple of weeks ago!). I am starting to think that I shouldn't be doing any cleaning.
Anyway, after that, I decided I should probably be done for the day with the garage. I had some things to take to the shed and as I was walking across the backyard, I came across a snake skin. We don't know for sure what kind it is. To me, there's a part that looks like maybe it held a rattle, so I am wondering if it was a rattlesnake. Scary part is that it was fairly close to the dog's yard. That has been a big worry for us here as dogs do get snake bitten fairly regularly. This is the first snake (or skin) sighting I have seen so far this year. I hope it's all I see! Anyway, the skin was all rolled up, so it's hard to see how long it is. We do have lots of birds around, so it's possible that a bird dropped it in the yard and the snake wasn't even here. That's the thought I am going with!
Speaking of birds, we have a family of cardinals. There's a male & female and 2 babies. The babies are big enough to fly, but they still have downy feathers. The like to sit in our crape myrtle tree and the mama and daddy will go to our bird feeder, get some seed, and bring it back and feed the babies. It has been awesome to watch. One of the babies is a male. His body is still brown, but his head is starting to turn the bright red. The other one is all brown, so I am assuming it is a female. I have learned to recognize their sounds, so I know when they are around. I have so enjoyed watching them!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that you got hit in the head. Do you realize that these little accidents are beginning to occur more often these days? Maybe you should leave all the chores to Don. lol

    ReplyDelete